Wednesday 15 July 2009

Mind Your Language

The real aim of speech, it is said, is to get across an idea as faithfully as possible from one mind to another. But there was this gentleman, who on a visit to England, forgot the English word for ‘duck’ and exclaimed to the lady that her ‘bataks’ were really beautiful. Though he had tried to put exactly what was in his mind into words, the effect on the lady can be well- imagined.!

This may happen not only on foreign soil but even in India .The same words in different languages may mean entirely different things and can cause confusion where it is least intended.

A Keralite, having resided for the most part in the North, I have come across a number of such discrepancies in language which may amuse some or evoke anger in others. One such instance is the word ‘Kutta’ which in Malayalam is an endearment used to address someone dear to you. My husband is in the habit of using the word to address all members of our household. One of our Punjabi friends got a shock when he heard me demurely answering to my husband’s Kutta, ( which he took to be the Hindi version meaning ‘dog’)

In Kerala, we address Father as ‘Achcha’ , a common word in Hindi meaning ‘good’ .Having stayed in the North, I have picked up the habit of adding ‘Achcha’ frequently in speech. My poor Father took quite some time to realize that every time I uttered ‘Achcha’ I was not referring to him. Come to Kerala and ask for a ‘kalam’ and you will be presented with an earthen pot. ‘Kalam’ the Hindi word for pen, is in Malayalam, a pot used in the kitchen. This has given rise to many a verbal duel between my husband and me. As an aspiring writer, I am all for the Hindi ‘kalam’ which can slay even the mightiest. My husband, on the other hand, feels I must acquaint myself with the Malayalam ‘kalam’- an indirect way of telling me that I should stick to mastering the culinary art rather than venture into pastures new.

Even the parts of the body may sound similar but mean different things in different languages. The Malayalam word for face, ‘Mukham’ resembles the Hindi ‘mukh’ meaning mouth. And ‘nak’ in Hindi means nose whereas in Malayalam it is the tongue. No wonder then, while switching from Malayalam to Hindi, references to the body parts confused me more than anything else. I had even protested when someone described my soft spoken friend as ‘ that lambi nak wali aurath’ thinking he was referring to her as sharp- tongued.

Thus, our Bharat Mahan, though a great place to live in, is a land full of contradictions. Erroneous interpretations can cause misunderstanding even between the most well-meaning individuals. Compliments turn out to be insults and may boomerang. So, while traveling from one state to another, do a little homework on the place you are going to. Forewarned is always forearmed.

Shailaja Chandran

(This was my second article which was published in The Indian Express, Chandigarh Edition on 16 Sept, 1989.)

No comments:

Post a Comment